February 13, 2017

Court holiday.

Announcement of Candidacy for the Illinois Legislature March 1832

Fellow-Citizens: I presume you all know who I am. I am humble Abraham Lincoln. I have been solicited by many friends to become a candidate for the Legislature. My politics are short and sweet, like the old woman's dance. I am in favor of a national bank. I am in favor of the internal improvement system, and a high protective tariff. These are my sentiments and political principles. If elected, I shall be thankful; if not it will be all the same.

Note:  In a field of thirteen candidates, of whom the top four were elected, he finished eighth. In his home district of New Salem, of 300 votes cast, he received 277.
__________________________________________

Tomorrow's issue: Liability under Labor Law § 241(6).